Monday, October 27, 2014

Week 1: Adapting and Learning

October 27, 2014

Dear Family,

Hey, everyone! Thank you so much for the e-mails and letters. I'm really happy to hear that everyone is doing okay back in good old Spokane, Washington. I also want to thank you for keeping me in your prayers. I am definitely going to need them everyday while I'm here.

Speaking of which, as you all know, by now I'm with my trainer and in my first area. My first area is Martin, Kentucky. It's a really pretty town with great scenery. The population is small but the houses are spread far apart, so we have to drive around the town a lot.

As for sitting next to the Jensens on the flight, it was a miracle. Mom, I'm really glad that you said that prayer to Heavenly Father that I would sit next to someone who was kind. The Jensens were the nicest couple that I've met. We just happened to bump into each other while we were boarding the flight. I was the first one to get on so I wasn't expecting to see them again. But then, to my surprise, I saw them walking down the aisle and they sat next to me. It was amazing. They were just so nice and talked to me while also being patient while I was just trying to pull myself together. I'm so grateful for them and Heavenly Father. He truly was looking after me. Through the Jensens and everyone else who wished us good luck on our missions, the Lord was letting me know that He was watching over me and that everything was going to be okay.

Going back to my first area, I'm in Martin, Kentucky (Floyd County). I'm living in a trailer. The name of the ward is the Martin 1st Ward. They are a great ward. They're just so kind and down to earth. My trainer's name is Elder Buttars. He's from Vancouver, Washington. He's only been out for 4 1/2 months. Hopefully, we can get this area and mission stuff figured out soon. For now, just keep me in your prayers.

Well, that's it for now. I love you all and I'll keep you in my prayers. Take care everyone.

Love,
Elder Alley

Note from Michael's mom: 
I Googled it and Martin, KY has a population of 633. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin,_Kentucky 

They are also "famous" for their Red, White & Blue Days. :)
http://www.redwhiteandbluedays.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment