Monday, January 26, 2015

Elder Michael Alley Update


The Dairy Cheer
(This just seems quintessential small town Kentucky to me.)
For kicks, here's the Yelp review on the place: 5 stars, people.
Obviously, if you are anywhere near Prestonburg, KY, you've gotta stop in.
Check it out on Yelp. Make sure you click on the reviews
so you can see the photos, too. Looks yummy.
https://local.yahoo.com/info-15351996-dairy-cheer-prestonsburg
Last meal together before transfers
Smashburger, Dairy Cheer Style
New companion, Elder Barney. Michael speaks very highly of him.
These two are taking Martin, KY by storm :)
Jeopardy Game for Family Home Evening
Mousetraps-2, Mice-0
(Glad to hear he's washing his hands. LOL)

Michael took a selfie!!
(He's learning all kinds of new things on his mission. haha)
I love that he looks so happy. :)

January 26, 2015

Dear Family,

Man, it just seems like yesterday that I was in the MTC, sitting in a classroom studying the doctrines of Christ and how to teach them to others. Now, here I am, almost 4 months out on my mission! Hard to believe, right? Still, I really miss you guys. But I know that I'll receive great blessings after my 2 years of missionary service are done. Just keep Ashley, Max, Jacob, and I in your prayers. Thank you so much.

To answer the Weekly Housekeeping Questions:

1) There's a McDonalds, Long John Silvers, and a Dairy Queen nearby as well.

2) Elder Barney and I are working super well together. It's only been about a week, but I already love having him as my companion. He's super nice, laid-back, and very organized. He and I have been cleaning up the trailer, tracted through a couple streets, worked on a Jeopardy game for a FHE event, and caught a couple of mice with our two mousetraps. Don't worry, there were only two mice and I have been washing my hands. Anyway, we have had a lot of fun together.

3) Yes, I did get your Box of Sunshine package and 100 Days letter. Thank you so much. Those two deliveries have really made my day.

4) I still got plenty of room on my SD card. I think I'll just send you the SD card once it's full.

5) No, I don't think I have another SD card. But, don't stress about it too much.

Now for my actual letter: Wow! I can't believe that you had three baptisms in the ward! That's amazing! Those three individuals have no idea how many blessings that they will receive from Heavenly Father for their decision. I also wish that I could've been there to hear Bro. Sweeney's talk during that special event. I really miss hearing his testimony and talks. Tell Bro. Sweeney "thank you" for sharing his notes.

I also think that Aubrey and her team should've won that Cupcake War. Oh well, as I always say: it is what it is. Still, could you keep that recipe? I would like to try it when I get back. Mmmm.

Well, I don't what else to say, other than to share some thoughts with you. Missions are hard because it requires you to stay focused solely on the gospel and teaching it to others. This requirement becomes frustrating when it seems like nobody wants to learn or they just don't have time for it. However, staying focused on the gospel has increased my testimony tremendously. As the weeks have gone by, I've found that the stories, teachings and testimonies of the Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith, and our Savior Jesus Christ have developed more meaning for me. For example, the hymn "I Am a Child of God" has become more than just a cute little song we sing. It has recently made me put more thought about our divine potential as children of God. I wish I could explain more about this insight but that would make this letter longer than it already is.

I better get going. But always remember that I love you all and miss you all. Even if I don't get any baptisms, my testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ has grown and will continue to grow. Take care everyone.

Love,

Elder Michael Alley 

No comments:

Post a Comment