Wednesday, September 23, 2015

We're Still Here!

Soccer on P-day
September 23, 2015

Dear Mom, Dad, Aubrey, and all my Family & Friends,

I've got some good news and bad news. The good news is that Elder Jarman and I are both staying here in Flatwoods for another 6 weeks! The bad news is that we finally got the truck into the shop to get the scratches and dents fixed but we won't have it back until either Friday or Monday. Not exactly how I wanted to start off the new transfer, especially since most of the areas we proselyte in are not within walking distance. Luckily for us, we have friends in the Flatwoods Branch who are willing to give us rides so we still have a way to get some work done. Thank goodness.

Man, it really does feel like time is moving faster as I get closer to my year mark. For me, the first week of the transfer usually blows by fast, then we have General Conference the next week, and then my year mark following afterwards! Yowza! I'm almost halfway done! Can you believe that?

Well, I wish I could tell you everything that happened this week but it seems like as my time as a missionary moves faster, the harder it becomes to remember it all. I had hard time just writing it all in my journal a couple nights ago. So I'll just give you my personal favorite moment of the week. A few weeks ago, we were tracting this one street and found a potential investigator. As we were talking with her, we found out that she and her husband was good friends with a member couple, Brother and Sister Boyce. We set up a return appointment for this week with her and invited the Boyces to come with us. I'm so glad we did because it was probably one of my top favorite teaching moments. Why? Because Brother and Sister Boyce gave simple and sweet testimonies as we taught B (the potential investigator, now new investigator) and her husband the Message of the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. While we were teaching, I felt inspired by the Spirit to ask Brother Boyce, "Why do we need prophets today?" His answer was that when kids grow up and move away from their parents, it is only natural that the parents would want someone to guide them when they can't be their for them. That's what Heavenly Father wants for us. Since he can't be here physically with us, he sent us prophets to guide us. In a sense, prophets are like proxy fathers to us. I was so impressed by that answer! I have never thought about prophets in that way before. It was amazing and the Spirit was so strong there.

Well, that's all for now folks. I hope things continue to go well in good ole Spokane, Washington. I love you all and miss you all. Hurrah for Israel!

Love,

Elder Michael Alley

No comments:

Post a Comment