Monday, June 13, 2016

Hanging in There

June 13, 2016

Dear Alley Family & Friends,

How's it going y'all? I'm glad everyone got a kick out of my hashtags in my last e-mail. Needless to say, I had a lot of fun writing those, lol ;) But I'm even more grateful for you all for, in one shape or another, sharing with me some thoughts about enduring trials (whether it was a quote from a Prophet or Apostle of the Lord or your own words). I'm grateful for your words because this week was definitely a frustrating week for both Elder Lane and I.

This week was another one of those weeks when we, as missionaries, have a lot of plans and scheduled appointments lined up, but then they all just quickly fall through. From potential investigators who weren't home when we showed up to follow-up on them to current investigators standing us up when we showed up for our scheduled appointments (we even texted them the night before to remind them), we just couldn't seem to teach anyone this week. Oh well. That's mission life for you.

Despite how frustrating this week was, I know that this is the Lord's work and that we will be blessed for our efforts. As Elder Jeffrey R. Holland once said, "Believe in good things to come." I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the Lord's true, restored Church and I'm proud and grateful to be a member of it. I know that God lives and that He sent His Son Jesus Christ to atone for our sins. I know that Joseph Smith was His chosen prophet who, under God's command, restored the fullness of the gospel to the earth. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and evidence of the restored gospel. I love you all and miss you all. Hurrah for Israel!

Love,

Elder Michael Alley  

PS To answer your questions:

1) To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about possibly finishing my mission here in Huntington. I'm not happy or sad about it. I guess my attitude right now is, "It is what it is." Does that make sense?

2) I would like to serve somewhere in Virginia (the West Virginia Charleston Mission covers about half of Virginia). Mainly because I had a lot of companions who served in Virginia areas and they all had great things to say about it. But, I don't see that happening for me. Oh well.

3) Things are going good with our 9-year-old investigator. We just won't be able to meet with her for a couple of weeks. The situation with her is that her parents are separated, but still share custody over her and her two siblings. Because of this, our little investigator and her siblings stay with their dad and then mom on different weeks. Because they're constantly going back and forth and the mom is planning on moving to a different ward, we don't have a baptismal date for the little girl because she might get baptized into a different ward. At least we get to help her get started on the gospel path.


No comments:

Post a Comment